Skip to main content

Chorogascar


I have always wanted to visit Turkana. To explore the beautiful land from kalokol to Lomelo and the likes of Lokichogio. I want to take a break from names like Onyango and kinuthia. I want to meet Ewoi, Ekai, Deng and Tukei. When I buy my Suzuki swift, as I take it home for my parents anointing I will pass by Turkana. I will use their sandy roads and leave the tread prints of my car sketched on their soil. Later in the day, I will drive to Chorogascar. It’s a small town in Turkana that boarders northern Uganda. I will wait until it’s late and take a nice picture of the setting sun and the herd of cattle heading back home.

Ng’ikadelio Marie tells a story, a story about her motherland chorogascar. She says they neighbour the Karamojong community. They almost speak the same language, just a little variation in the tones and pronunciation. Most of the folks there are Catholics. When the missionaries came to Turkana from Uganda, they first settled in Chorogascar, an answer to why most of them are Catholics.

I grew up with an undefinable fear of Catholicism. The way they recited their prayers scared the hell out of me. I feared looking at the images; I feared moving an inch closer to them. I just couldn’t. I was scared of the holy water dropping on me. I would literally escape it, if the father ever saw me I don’t know what he thought of me. Nevertheless, I was just a scared child not used to such. My grandfather was a catholic however, and sometimes during Christmas, we would attend the mass. Before I knew it I was just as comfortable in a catholic church as anyone else.

Chorogascar is Ng’ikadelio’s home. She says it’s not just her home but her safe haven. Her place of refuge, a place she can get in at will and even walk out in protest but will still be welcome. It is not just a random dirty village as most of us thought. She has already pardoned us for that mistake - we didn’t know what we were doing.  Anytime she thinks of Chorogascar, she thinks of home. It’s a two in one thing. She has always traced her roots to Chorogascar to hold her shit together. Whenever she’s hurt by the cruel, unkind outside world, she thinks of home. Chorogascar, where she will always be a baby no matter the age of time.  Where she is allowed to cry and complain without fear of judgement.

Sweet home, where there is always someone constantly praying for you. They say ‘akuj tang’aa iyong ngike rotin, topia wadaang notoorit, kitililimi iyong etau keng kotere erai iyong ngesi kolong kiinakiniayong ngesi’ God open the ways for my child and guide her wherever she sets her foot.

Home is where people will be worried when you overstay in bed. Someone will come looking for you and ask if you’re okay. You’d better not be okay because the rest would be a long story. Chorogascar, where there is healthy food as compared to what we eat in the city. Where food is not improvised in the labs and such like.

A safe haven, where someone is proud of you and your small achievements. Where they appreciate that as little as it is, it took you some effort. When she could not find a job, she traced her way to Chorogascar to take some breath. When she wanted a baby and she couldn’t get she ran to the same Chorogascar to find certain answers. When the baby came and the dad disappointed, she ran back home. Her drawing board, where she can restructure her plans and find a new bearing.

Her children love Chorogascar, they always want to go there for holidays to see grandma. They love home with an equal energy as hers.  Sometimes she wonders if it’s her mum who makes Chorogascar taste like milk and honey or if Chorogascar is just Chorogascar.

After the long adventure, I will drive home to my parents and show my gratitude to them for being my Chorogascar, my safe haven. I will definitely buy something to carry with me, a hamper maybe.

Comments

  1. Beautifully moulded words

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice story. It reminds me of a lady in my mom's shags called Akimeti... and she talked funny kimeru, she was married to my mom's cousin or something . So just the other day I asked my mom why she has a funny name.
    And my mom told me all those old women from far away tribes were all married to cops. Like this Akimeti met her cuzo when he worked in Turkana. So she is Turkana.
    And she named several including an aunt of mine whoo is Taita. My uncle was a cop.

    And now even the young men.. if you hear of a luo, kalenjin, gabra, Kisii, luhya and the likes in my shags (and they are soo soo many) know their husbands are cops
    😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home sweet home ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te