Skip to main content

on to 25


I promised to wake up and write. I haven’t written in a while, I’ve been dealing with a lot of things. Not to mention losing all my world cup games. Ending a chapter in life not knowing where the next road leads to. I woke up at six, in my pair of shorts and a round hat over my head. Nothing seemed to be coming from my sleeping posture, I decided to let the cold sting my legs so at least I could think. I started turning my phone and laptop inside out - looking for a writing prompt. Sometimes the mojo goes away. It disappears to God knows where and you can’t think. And even if you think something tells you “that won’t be appealing”

Two doorsteps away a padlock is receiving a beating of its life because its owner probably lost the key at the counter of a pub. He is not a bad guy because he beats the padlock while talking to it. He’s amazed how he chose himself a worthy padlock. At the window opposite someone angry from his sleep is peeping to see who on earth speaks to a padlock at 6 am.  Finally the padlock makes a huge cry like the one Messiah made on the cross and said ‘it’s over,’ the curtains of the house burst open and the dark house swallows him whole.

Some music starts to play in a low volume.  An imperturbable music; Oceans where my feet may fail by Hillsong. Followed by majesty by Martin J Smith, then back to home to Kik ikala by Florence Robert. The songs somehow give me a flashback of the day we were out of gas in the middle of Elephants- infested Meru forest at 9pm. I actually didn’t know I could speak in Meru till then.

I have never woken up away from my father’s compound on a 25th December. I feel like age has just caught up with me when I was least ready. Messiah’s birthday just caught me in a foreign land. Unaware and unplanned.

I feel like I should have been home. It’s strange, I’ll wake up that day and feel like it’s nothing really. It will be quite a struggle to convince myself that I’ve grown and I should get ready to start dealing with certain changes – like being more of a dad than a son, being more of an uncle than a brother, such is life. I won’t wake up to find a huge dough waiting to be rolled, cut into pieces and thrown inside a frying pan. I won’t wake up to see my mum sitting on the orindi in the kitchen outside with a lesso tied around her waist. At the door step there will be no chicken tied by its legs or restrained inside a nest with some grains to keep it a little busy for an hour or two.

There will be no those late night stories, some people will be sleeping in Oruba others will be sleeping in Kinoo. A whole 380 kilometers apart. Gone are the days when at a such a time we would be making endless trips to the room at the furthest end of the house to ascertain that our Christmas clothes have not been swallowed by the wardrobe. Just the other Tuesday we were cleaning the compound to welcome dad home from the National exams marking. My sisters would get their nails fast cleaned of the cutex, ‘the nail polish’. This cutex name sounds weird and old right now. My dad didn’t believe in such things. Not for his kids. I want to think of all these when I wake up on 25th without getting offended that so many years have elapsed just in one sunset. A boy is turning into a man. And a man is turning into a father. And the son too will one day turn into a father. And a chapter of life shall have been closed. Time is a bustard.

I refuse to be idle on 25th I will go eat chapos with some kids at a children’s home. I will go hang out with someone. I will go to Moi Avenue and buy a random street child food.  I will call friends, tell stories and burst my mouth laughing. Whichever comes, either or all! It’s the 25th December that will cross me over to 25 and perhaps something bigger than just being 25.

News from the village says that car keys are working wonders. Anything you point at with the car key, you shall possess. But I think gone should be the days when a car was a measure of wealth. Anyone with me? You wake up holding your car keys. In a short, sandals and your ka small kitambi you walk around like a commander inspecting a parade. You walk down to the banana farm to mark the ones that are most appealing to you. You don’t want any muddle or mix up come 3rd January when you’re traveling back. You want to mark the location because when you come back you only need to point it with the car key and someone will carry it to your car boot. They only don’t know that when you get back to the city, a huge bill awaits you from the car hire.

I didn’t tell anyone not to buy a car and if you see me with one next year don’t say I lied to you. Just ask if it’s mine or a borrowed one. As we close another year, I don’t want to get offended that so many years have elapsed in 24 hours. The focus is to make our ambitions, goals and desires work concurrently with the speed of time. Merry Christmas good people!

Avoid drunk drivers even if its yourself. Avoid those people!

Happy Holidays


Comments

  1. Someone would have told us this time elapses so fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who speaks to the padlock at 6am?😂
    Happy holidays writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy holidays 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to be idle too, a goat shall suffer !
    Happy holidays and may good things follow us in 2023

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time is a bustard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending love to all who are lonely
    Merry Christmas ⛄🎄❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas 🤶

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Israel 🎆

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you now convinced that life is short ??😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas and a happy new year y'all

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te