Skip to main content

Red Alert

 


I have a single red shirt in my closet. I only put it on when all my other shirts are dirty or if I feel a certain way on a warm, sunny morning. This time, I put it on because it was the only one within my reach. The bus conductor was yelling gibberish into my ears with a heavy Kisii accent. He was saying something about how I had kept them waiting for one hour at the stage, yet my watch told me I was only two minutes late. It sounded almost as if he was crying. To save him his tears and vocal chords, I grabbed the closest shirt and left with my luggage. I realised later it was a red shirt.

Childhood was fun before the advent of flat screen TVs and smart phones. We lived every moment to the fullest. Unlike these cerelac babies, we had hands-on experience with life. Our knees and feet were moulded into hard pads due to the continuous interaction with the coarse ground. Back then, when we did something, we genuinely loved it. We would pour our hearts out to derive pleasure from every little activity we ventured in. A home devoid of opulent and fancy things would be made lively by the cacophony of laughter from playing children. 

Of course there was always a periodic refrain from a heckling mother. There was always that one kid who would dip their muddy hands in the porridge, or do a summersault in a sufuria of soup. In such cases, sandals would be wielded and shrieks would be heard from a mile away.

One of the most pleasurable activities was orchestrating fights between creatures. Yeah, creatures. Animals, insects, humans, plants. We would waylay two unsuspecting ants and force them into clasping their fangs. Bets were placed and we would chear the vigorous wrestle until either one ended up incapacitated or dead. We loved bullfights, cockfights and the clanging sound that ensued as rams knocked the mucus out of each others' heads.

 
Just to mention, we had a daring sense of adventure. We would stretch our imagination to its limit and live it's every figment. My old man was a lover of exotic animals and ornamental birds. He had a big black turkey. We had watched cockfights until it wasn't fun anymore. We had to try something new. 

So one day, we decided to challenge Opong' tomuol, the beholder of cockfighting blackbelt, to a derby with Mbata, the Turkey. We lured the cock into the Turkey's cage and sat on an elevated tree stump, with a few revellers from the hood. Lots were cast and the derby began. When the wattle of the turkey turned  pitch red and the snood became fully tumescent, we knew we were going to have the time of our lives. 

The cock puffed up it's feathers and gave a bombastic side eye. Jump! Kicks! Cackles! An hour later, the cock lay stationary on the ground with streaks of blood on its nose. The turkey was goobling feebly yet with an aura of dominance. He had successfully dispatched Opong' tomuol to Sayun.

 
Evening was fast approaching and soon, my folks would be home. Every little piece of evidence had to be destroyed. The ring was cleaned of all feathers and the cock carried delicately to a dark corner of the chicken coop. Imagine the shock that hit my mother when she discovered the untimely demise of her only cock. Better still, imagine my astonishment when I realized a healthy cock could just decide to die over night. However, there was a little discrepancy. The visual autopsy conducted by my mother ruled out the possibility of a natural death. It died while struggling and breathing heavily. Otieno, the skinny malnourished neighborhood boy with streaks of mucus criss-crossing his face,who had lost his bet during the derby, vented his misery to cement my mother's findings. Let me tell you Maina...... I slept hungry as others chewed the drumsticks of the meal I had 'prepared.'

 
Let's now come back to my red shirt. When I first put on a red shirt, I was naive. I had just finished gulping my 'agwata' of uji for breakfast and was looking for somewhere to release the energy. Stark naked, I came across a red shirt and put it on. On me, it looked like a kaftan, with one side of the shoulders sagging. I met 'Mbata' at a corner. A red shirt and a Turkey, bad day at the office. If it's true people scream from their lungs, I would have suffocated. I still have the marks of the beast from that ordeal. Mbata was later slaughtered, and I was tempted to eat the snood.

So here I was, with my vogue traveling bag and man bag that I had carried as tools of trade in my pending assassination attempts of village girls. And my red shirt. I opened the gate and the first thing I saw was a new 'Mbata'. It puffed it's feathers and extended its snood. I realized there and then that I had not healed from my childhood trauma. I ponderously closed the gate and headed back to where I had come from. I dropped my bag at a nearby shop and engaged some boda boda guys in small talk. All I had to do was to interject ' Hii serikali ya hasora.....' The guys were impressed by how outgoing and accommodative I was towards people. If only they knew...


An hour later, my 7-year old niece arrived home from school. She grabbed my arm and pulled me home, with anticipation of seeing what I had brought from the city. I tried to warn her of the danger she was about to expose herself to but she didn't listen. The ' kitakuramba' banger played in my mind as I followed closely behind her. She flung the gate open. 'Mbata' was there all puffed up and ready to strike. Just as I was about to clutch her in my arms and run away, she loosened herself and went towards the beast. She approached and caressed it's back. With my mouth, I watched as it miraculously shrank and squatted, in surrender. These Gen Z kids really had very little things to worry about in life.

I am still working on getting over my 'Mbata' phobia. My therapist ' niece' has prescribed periodic exposure to the beast with a little caressing, and eye contact. Taking this photo was undoubtedly a milestone in my journey to overcome Mbata PTSD. However, I wonder which of our childhood escapades can still be practised. Cocks no longer mean male chicken, bulls don't lock horns, rams are too friendly and Mbata has become docile. It's sad that the generations to come will never experience some of these things.

Comments

  1. When we go to heaven we should start afresh as children

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even hens with newly hatched chicks don't chase after people these daysπŸ˜‚. We're losing our culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buana, I wonder where we are heading toπŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. The chiwawa gen z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even rosecoco is no longer beans. Not even beans itself is beans πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  5. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ nice one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te