Skip to main content

Ndugu

Because it's Friday let's get a dose of Ndugu🥳


By Ndugu Abisai


In 2015, I lived on the fourth floor of a certain building in Kariobangi South. We had one bathroom on the floor, which means, at some point in the morning, we would all congregate there with buckets to wait for our turn to shower. There was a couple that used to get in together, then as they showered we would hear, “aki baaabe.” From the woman. Immediately the man would clear his throat then giggle a bit. The standard was two giggles. A very consistent man. That didn't bother us. 


The guy that lived closest to the bathroom, never queued with us. He used to wake up, brush his shoes while listening to Don Carlos' Just A Passing Glance. That guy taught me that manifesting works or worked. He just would pass the bathroom glancing at us. Never said a word. A man, his shiny shoes and long face and just a passing glance. He manifested passing the bathroom. A hero in the manifesting realm.


My main interest was showering. But also, I loved listening to small talk from women wrapped in white and/or blue towels, it is my personal HR policy to not be interested in gossip, but gossip from a woman wrapped in a white towel is not something you ignore. They bare it all. Is that a pun? Every day they had breaking news. I left the flat never having known their names, but I can write about the characters in the stories they told. Great women in white and/or blue towels.


There was a guy that used to call us(everyone on the floor) Ras. He wasn't Rasta, at least physically, we also, were not Rasta. But he would get there, fist bump all of us and conclude with Wagwaaan Rastas. In my head I would say, this is why Morgan Heritage did their 'you don haffi dread to be Rasta....' That guy too, never saw the inside of that bathroom.


If you have started asking where this story is going. I want to submit to you that it is pointless.  I am just doing this to achieve my daily word count target.


The guy we all didn't like, was the (a) pastor. He used to call of us, wapendwa. From Ras to wapendwa. 0-100 real fast. He somehow would sneak a scary sermon as we queued. “Rakini wapendwa hua najiuriza, nikiingia kwa hii bafu nitereze, nianguke, nivunjike, nikufe(what a chronology?) na sijampea Yesu wa Nazareti(never missed the Nazareti part) maisha yangu, nitakufa nikiwa msafi rakini roho ni chafu. Afadhari nisafishe roho niwache mwiri.”

Which made sense. Because, if you died during a shower, you would by any stretch of imagination, die clean. The gossipers called him Naz. Short for Nazareti. We didn't bother to know his name.


When I got a job I thought to myself. I hold it in me highly, seeing women wrapped in white towels. But do I want to be called Ras then later Wapendwa in very quick succession? I gathered my belongings and looked for a bedsitter elsewhere. I also bought a white towel just in case someone visits and they want to volunteer to wrap it around their body.  I have the towel- if anybody is asking. But not looking for anyone to wrap it around herself.


I thank you!


Happy Friday(evening) and God bless you.


#nduguabisai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te