Skip to main content

Happy father's Day


To the men who became fathers...

Art credit: pixelsmerch


This Father’s Day I am thinking quite a bit about my father, and the lessons I have gleaned from him. And especially now that I too am thinking about becoming a father. It is time, someone’s daughter told me. I think she fears I may end up finishing all the engineers, climate activists and doctors and just be left with brokers, forex traders, and DJs. Does the world really need more DJs? 

We don’t talk much with my father. Not out of spite. It’s just who we are, shy men. I pretend not to be seen. He pretends not to see me. My father is getting old now. He has white hair. When I call him I think that just the other day, he was a young man at the apogee of his youth. Now his hospital visits have become frequent, his runway much shorter, his eyesight failing, which is not such a bad thing when I eventually bring a baddie home he won’t approve. “You don’t see her like I do,” will be my line.

I've been considering and worrying about fatherhood, about how you do it, how he did it. When I go through our photo album—yes, we still have photo albums—I see him stood there, with his half a dozen or so kids. A fun guy who knows what time it is and smells nice. A responsible man. Okay, maybe not—he got my younger brother 13 years after me. Argh! Spacing people! Spacing!

Fatherhood is not cool. But is important. It’s work. Because of the commitment and the obligation and the worry. It’s the society’s thyroid gland. It’s that thing whose presence is made much larger by its absence, it’s our whole country, which you never think of until it’s gone, which you never love until you’re no longer there. It’s not like winning the Premier league unbeaten. Or peeing in a straight line, uninterrupted. 

When you are young, your father is your hero. Childhood’s greatest pleasure might be the illusion that our parents have some idea what they’re doing. But life’s needles and thorns prick you as a reminder that, of course, no one does. Parents fight, they quit their jobs, they move to the village, they take jobs they don’t like, they get another child 13 years after they had you. In other words, they are human.

But I am thankful that my father if he did not give us wings, at least did not cage us. It was fine to be what you wanted. As long as it’s not a DJ. What do we owe our parents? Do we owe them more than what they gave us? If we’ve given them a thousand chances to be better for us, do we give them one more? It’s not all global kumbaya and moments of shared humanity, of course. A core memory I have of him is when he gently exchanged words after someone had disrespected him. And by words, I mean blows. And by gently, I mean he beat them up. Go dad. He taught me that you cannot negotiate for your humanity, that sometimes you gotta fight when you are a man.

My father will never make prime time news, unless he becomes a DJ in Roysambu. He lives in the shadows, the working class who makes this woebegone nation work. He institutionalized his outsiderdom. He will never be recognized for making such a fine handsome son (me) although he should. He will, hopefully, not become a politician with friends who can “hire” him a jet. He won’t make headlines for breaking out, or breaking in. His story gets lost in the mire of absent fathers, because that is what sells. I compare him to Enoch, a humble man whose story is barely captured in the scriptures. We learn simply in Genesis 5:22 and 5:24 that “Enoch walked with God.”

So, like most among us, he remains unseen. He loves his wife. He showed up for his family. He set an example. He does his part in making sure this country does not produce more DJs. And he is present. He is a walking sermon. Maybe this is your father, too. Just an ordinary man. A few good men. But that’s okay. Because Enoch was an ordinary man too. But he had an extraordinary epitaph. Happy Father’s Day to all the men here. Because even if you are not a father, you’re still a son.

As told By Eddy Ashioya Eddy Ashioya

#chinedutales  #HappyFathersDay

Comments

  1. Happy father's day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you're not a father you're still a son ... Happy father's day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like he's talking to me. Those of us who have difficult relationships with our fathers not for anything but that how it is. Doesn't mean we hate them or they hate us, it's just how we've grown

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te