Skip to main content

The guy in my dream

By Dee Lemorena 


I have not been able to leave my house since yesterday.

This is what happened. I left Papa Joe's in Utawala at around 8 pm Saturday and went straight home because I had emails to respond to. Since I was full, I made myself comfortable and slid into bed at around 11.

Now, I don't know what happened between 11pm and 3 am but I have been having flashbacks in bits and most probably, by end of today, I'll remember everything. When I do, I'll let you know.

I was in California, driving from the Los Angeles County Museum on Wilshire Boulevard Avenue to the Newport Beach and a cool handsome guy in dark sunglasses was sitting right beside me. I can't remember what we were talking about but I was smiling and giggling like a little girl and it made me happy.

It was a 50 minute drive but being an amateur and baby girl, it took us about two half hours to get to the City. Patience! The handsome guy was guiding me and showing  me famous burger joints along the way because he understood I love food. I remember him clapping and leaning over to whisper in my ears and cheer me when I overtook a truck along the way. I needed that.

LA streets were pretty clean.

It was a rush hour and the traffic was so heavy. Being a busy weekend for everyone in LA, we had to patiently wait as I tried to find our way out.

We were about to join the last street to Newport Beach when I noticed a familiar signpost. 

*Welcome to Nakuru county*

I quickly pulled to a stop and looked at the man beside me. He was laughing and urging me to keep driving because we were running late.

I held onto the steering wheel and tried to pull the key out of the ignition but the vehicle was already flying past range rovers and subarus. I saw trees moving backwards and heavy trucks carrying sand and cabros .I saw police officers in blue uniform at the roadside waving at us.

The vehicle didn't stop until later on when we drove right into the heart of Nakuru city. I still don't understand how it happened, but I remember me screaming. Thrice. 

"Diana! Uko Sawa? fungua hii mlango" I heard Wafula's voice from a distance 

Wafula is our caretaker and I understand he came knocking because he thought I was in danger. He is the only person here that calls me Diana 

I heard several other voices outside my door. Good neighbours !

I know they thought I was being  battered or something, but I don't bring men home . I also know I got a shrill voice and everyone heard me scream.

That's why I cannot leave my house just yet . I don't know how I'll start explaining that I was dreaming. That this vehicle was forcefully driving me back to Kenya and I didn't want to leave CA. They'll probably think I'm on weed or something.

It makes me sick that I cannot remember the man's face  but I know his voice . I hope our paths never cross because he will not believe. He shouldn't have let me drive back!

Wait, why didn't the vehicle go through JKIA for security check? Who travels all the way from CA to 254 in a vehicle?  Heri hata wangenileta na ndege. Injustice !

I am trying to catch some sleep so I can go back to CA. That's where my heart is. Maybe I'll find the heartless man and de*l with him the Kenyan way.

Also, when I finally get the courage to leave my house ( I know everyone will laugh at me when I do) I'll walk into the nearest driving school and learn how to drive like a sane woman .

The future needs sane women and right now, I'm nothing close to that.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi