Skip to main content

Love at First Dance



When she first joked about it, I dismissed it as a fleeting urge; a curiosity that wouldn't kill the cat. Then she insisted. She implored and cajoled me, piercing me with her hazel eyes and coaxing me with her caustic voice. 

Being in this dingy alley leading to a flight of stairs up to a small door that struggled to let out the deafening music and the stench of revellers shook the very foundations of my masculinity. She held my hand and dragged me up the stairs. My masculinity pulled the eject handle and deserted my body quicker than a fighter jet pilot in distress. As we climbed up, we bumped into tall dark figures in wigs and thongs, their guttural chants sharply contrasting their outfits. At the entrance, we paid the redeemable entrance fee and I thought 'there's no turning back now boy'.

For 10 pm, the club was too fully packed. We got stools and sat at a corner near a subwoofer, using the vibrating contraption as a table. The ground beneath me was shaking and the chapo beans I had stuffed in my gut threatened to flow right out of my bowels. I could control it. I wondered if the people around me in thongs and heels could say the same. 

On the adjacent table, a couple were already slathering each other with sticky kisses and using their hands in ways that could make a nun perform a signum crusis. At the counter, a lousy old man with a distended belly and porcine eyes added a shot of whiskey to a boy's glass. Poor boy downed it in one gulp and the man whispered something in his ears.  The next second, they walked away hand-in-hand, the man signaling me to watch over the half emptied bottle of whiskey. On the adjacent wall, I read a sign; 'Only one person allowed in the washroom at a time.' My piercing gaze caught their backs as they made the last turn to the lavatories.

I was lost. I took a swig of the whisky in my glass and the people around me began spinning  in perpetual revolutions. I looked at the lady across from me and her face was a beautiful , wobbly microcosm of the little universe around me. Reaching out for her hand, I lifted myself off my stool. In her face was plastered a puerile grin; a coquettish desire to pry into the debauchery of the other side. She wandered off in her quest.

I was left alone in a sea of humanity drenched in  ineffable shame. I noticed a few piercing stares directed towards me, each of them laced with feral licentiousness. At one end of the dingy club, a couple were all over each other, gyrating their ample bosoms to 'Hozambee'. At another end, I could make out a silhouette of what looked like a man, ignobly bent over, twerking his waist numb to a burly figure astride.

My first instinct was  get out immediately, but my chum had been swallowed by the sea of humanity. I left my table, whiskey in hand, wandering off in an apoplectic gait in search of her. Every inch of the club was thronged with ecstatic revellers. The air was hazy with shisha smoke and heavy with the smell of fish, possibly from the air ducts of the adjacent kitchen; or perhaps the ladies were culpable, if the rumours are true. As my inebriated brain tried to decipher the redolence, a damsel (not in distress) grazed my crotch in a life-changing, fleeting whine. I stood there, my body charged with electricity. Suddenly, I became aware of the blaring music. I caught a wink from the mysterious lady and followed her in quick steps to her table. She leaped gracefully over a stool and fit her petite frame in between a bevy of lasses. She turned and scanned my face in one sweeping incendiary glance that left my swarthy cheeks flushed  aubergine. I eyeballed her, devouring her with my eyes. There were at least three heads perched on her neck, oscillating rhythmically to the beats. The heads merged into a beautiful, genial face intermittently. I felt my body shudder in response to the loud music; performing a grotesque parody of the popular 'anguka nayo' dance. If there were any sober person, I'm sure they would have called an ambulance for an emergency case of an epileptic convulsing on the dance floor. 

As the infamous banger hit crescendo, the hype man grabbed a microphone and whipped the crowd into a dancing frenzy. Like a robot that had suddenly been switched on, my girl stood up mechanically, her alabaster skin glowing with surges of electricity. A moment later, she was swaying before me in electrifying gyrations. The people around morphed into and obscure blur. It was only the two of us on stage and the blaring music. I danced myself lame, exhausting all the moves I had practiced in the shower. At that moment Nasty C's intro to Particular ' ain't nothing cooler than the wrong moves when you make the to the right song' came on speaker. That was all the motivation I needed to invent novel dance moves for the rest of the night.

At dawn, when the party had simmered down to a chatty shindig, we sat down. We could finally ask each other names; perhaps exchange contacts. She pinned her elbow on the table and plunked her chin on her palm. I extended my arm and mopped her sweaty brow with my paws. I waxed lyrical about myself. My achievements, good traits, and a few bad boy tales to spice things up and sound less garish. She proved to be an open book that I gladly read through and left the pages dog-eared. Unlike her friends, she was attracted to men (based on her obsession with my chiseled body and her indifference towards the other revellers). Luckily for me, I was one of the few men there who found the delicate curves and bumps of the female architecture aesthetically pleasing and irresistible. I was certainly the most charming of the few (don't tell me otherwise). In a moment of serendipity, we had bumped into each other at the most unlikely place. At least my masculinity would be pacified at last. 

I demurely asked her to come home with me,  trying to conceal the lecherous intentions that pervaded the proposal. Her countenance was suffused with an 'I-know-what-you-mean' smile. At five in the morning, her friends came looking. Studs dragging their damsels in hand, hurling threats, daring me to take their friend home for them to 'trace' me and 'teach me a lesson'. To me they were just that; toothless threats. The threats grew teeth when I refused to let their friend go. They disappeared and came back with two jacked bouncers. To avert the impending tragedy, my girl took my phone, thumbed her digits in it and kissed me goodbye. I remained at the table, a smug look on my face. Someone had just cracked an egg on my face. I looked at the unsaved number on my dial and tried to recall the name. As a last resort, I typed in 'shawty for whines' and stuffed the phone in my pocket. 

Outside, the darkness made way for a bright morning. I suddenly remembered I had been accompanied by someone. I walked delicately past the bodies sprawled, in stupor, on the coaches . At a corner, my companion was flanked  by a bevy of drunken dames, avowing their undying love. "Shake them off; time to bounce." One pertinacious girl stuck to her like a tick to a fattened cow. In her quest to win her newly-found love, her friends had left her behind. "I have an ample crib that could fit a small crowd, if you don't mind?" the words came tumbling out of my mouth. 

My ringtone startled me awake at noon. On the screen 'shawty for whines' looked up to me for recognition. It took ten long seconds before I could get the hang of it. I slipped away from the two figures purring softly on the bed. As I swiped up to receive the call, I reminisced about the whine that had borne the eponymous epithet on my screen. 'Love at first dance' I thought as I answered to a soothing voice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Ariel

Ariel studies Chemistry, but is also a footballer who retired prematurely because of a bad knee. A knee that chose chemistry over football. He is a farmer during long holidays. He keeps chicken and milk his father’s cow on a good day. On a bad day he goes to a nearby dusty arena to play football, to see if his knee could have possibly changed its idea about chemistry. Ten minutes into the  game he becomes a living testimony that his knees were actually meant to stand long hours in the chemistry lab doing tests and mixing chemicals to see colour changes, precipitates and what have you that don’t excite me. He is a vocabulary expert and a story teller. He is a fitness aficionado. He is a brother and a son. I can’t prove that he is a boyfriend but I can prove beyond any limits that in the past 7 days he has eaten chapatti at least thrice.  He's authored   THE FAMILY MAN ,   WHAT I WANT , GRIP REAPER ,  J'S COCUNUTS just to mention a handful. He is a huge Chelsea fan, a bruised te

Half a head

There were thin and bleak sounds, noises that were either real or imaginary. A sound of a wild bird in distress from a far, an owl maybe or a cardinal, accompanied by what sounded like uneasy movement and groaning noises from within. Those unnerving noises that make you believe hell is real and the damned has flung the gates open. He was in the police cell, the cell had huge shelves and guys were sleeping on the floor like they always do. You might have met this somewhere; you might have heard of it from the walls of your sitting room or the streets. It is a tale of this guy Boniface Kimanyano Ayoti, an epic face of crime, larger than life. A guy whose weakness was crime. Anything criminal triggered something in him. Something that not only made him content but also put him in a zone where nothing else could. Even though it can’t tell it all, Bonnie’s face is a tale of crime. Before you hear a word from him you know he’s not been an average human being. He has a swelling just above

The Holy Studio

  I met Philip Mutemi in the streets of wanderlust diaries. He wrote a piece that caused stir and led to a lot of fuss. If you know the wanderlust diaries you're safe. You may actually go to heaven if Christ comes today. His display picture is of a man seated with arms crossed in what looks like a pub. A man probably past middle age. Looking at him another time, I feel like he has four children. Again looking at him, he doesn’t look like in 2014 he was 20 years old, I mean he almost looks older than my father. He honestly couldn’t be 30 right now. All these observations I made because of how some people in the comment section threw stones at him. So, Philip claims that back in 2014 his 3 cousins, 4 neighbours and himself were to join campus. They were given money to go and buy laptops. What is campus life without a laptop? The next Monday early in the morning they were in Nairobi. There was one cousin who was street smart and managed to convince them the he was well acquainted wi